Before we discuss caring for sensitive skin, it's important to understand what it is. Delicate skin is one which is not able to endure any damaging conditions (environmental/other), and which quickly gets inflamed on contact with foreign products (including skin care products).
This tolerance level is extremely low for delicate skin types, leading to skin getting damaged very quickly. Sensitive skin care products either prevent the possible irritants or keep them at really low concentrations.
Here are some ideas for sensitive skin care:
* Use delicate skin care items (i.e. the items that are marked just for sensitive skin care). Likewise, inspect the instructions/ notes on the product to see if there are specific restrictions/warnings related to the product).
* Even within the range of delicate skin care products, choose the one that has minimum preservatives, colorings and other additives
* Be careful of toners. The majority of them are alcohol based and are not recommended for sensitive skin.
* Wear protective gloves when doing laundry or other chemical based cleansing. If you dislike rubber, you can use cotton gloves below the rubber ones.
* Another essential idea for 'sensitive skin care' - avoid extreme exposure to sun. Apply sun block lotion before going out in the sun, and reapply at least every two hours while sunbathing.
* Avoiding direct exposure to dust and other contaminants is also crucial for delicate skin care. So, cover yourself effectively prior to going out.
* Use hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic moisturizer as a delicate skin care product (if there is none particularly labelled as a sensitive skin care product).
* Use soap-free and alcohol free cleansers. Clean your face whenever you return from spending quality time outdoors.
* Do not scrub or exfoliate too forcefully. It can cause reddishness and even swelling.
* Do not leave makeup on for too long. Use hypoallergenic makeup- removers.
Sensitive skin care is very different from normal skin care. It is more about taking care with your skin (both in terms of delicate skin care items and protection against environmental pollutants on the skin).
Delicate skin care products either avoid possible irritants or keep them at very low concentrations. If you are unsure about a product, use a small amount on the undersurface of your forearm; if the area turns red or inflamed, avoid the product.
As to sensitivity, what frequently determines the difference between safety and toxicity is dosage. In that context, chiral products used in skincare are used at doses that have been empirically determined to produce the desired effects in most people without producing serious toxicity. If you have sensitive skin, you are probably safer with a chiral product such as those found in BARE SkinCare - all products are chiral.